- 1 pound extra firm tofu
- ¼ cup low-sodium tamari
- 2 tablespoons minced pickled ginger
- 1 tablespoon pickled ginger pickling juice
- 2 teaspoons brown rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 small red bell pepper cut in julienne slice
- 1 small green bell pepper cut in julienne slice
- 1Drain the tofu and cut it into ½ inch thick slices. Place the slices side by side, not touching, at one end of a clean kitchen towel. Fold the opposite end of the towel over the tofu, place a cutting board on the towel and weight down the board with a heavy skillet. Allow the tofu to drain for 30 minutes.
- 2Remove the weights from the tofu and stack slices neatly then cut into ½ inch cubes. Place the cubed tofu in a mixing bowl. Add the tamari, pickled ginger and its juice, rice vinegar and sesame oil. Place a plate over the bowl to cover and toss the bowl to distribute the marinade. Refrigerate, covered for at least 30 minutes. Toss tofu several times as it marinates so that all of the pieces are marinated evenly. The tofu may be prepared up to 24 hours in advance to this point, remembering to toss occasionally in order to marinate evenly.
- 3Heat the vegetable oil over medium high heat until hot, but not smoking. Add the peppers and toss to coat with oil. Reduce heat slightly and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside while cooking tofu.
- 4The peppers may be prepared ahead to this point up to 24 hours in advance if refrigerated in an airtight container.
- 5Heat a 10 inch skillet over medium high heat until just hot. Pour the tofu and remaining marinade into the skillet and cook, tossing frequently, until lightly browned and cooked through. Add the cooked peppers to the skillet and continue to cook, tossing gently, until the peppers are warmed through and the mixture is evenly heated. Turn out onto individual plates or one large serving dish and serve immediately.