- 4 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon yellow split peas (chana dal)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1½ teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 1½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 red chili peppers, halved lengthwise
- ½ teaspoon asafoetida powder (available at Asian or Indian markets)
- 4 curry leaves (available at Asian or Indian markets)
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger root
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons roasted cashews
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped cilantro as garnish
- 1Have rice at room temperature. Soak the split peas in a cup of water for at least 30 minutes.
- 2Heat oil in a large skillet. Add drained split peas, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chili peppers, asafoetida and curry leaves. Sauté until mustard seeds begin to pop. Add the ginger, turmeric, cashews and continue to sauté for about 2 minutes. Stir in the rice and lemon juice and heat through. Garnish with chopped cilantro or grated lemon zest.